MOUNT PRINCETON HOT SPRINGS RESORT
The Perfect Meeting Place For Business Or Pleasure
In August 1880, owners of the hot springs sold right-of-way access through the property and up the gully to the Denver, South Park, and Pacific Railroad for $3,000. This addition was a game changer as the hotel now had a railroad connection with a 16 x 34-foot station located directly behind the building, on the east side of the creek.
The railroad built a trestle across the creek to carry their three-foot narrow gauge train. The train arrived from the south side of the property and climbed north for two miles, crisscrossing the creek.
The D&SP Railroad teamed with Sanderson and Company’s stagecoach to transport travelers from Gunnison (a 14-hour trip) to Heywood Springs.
From there, passengers caught the train to Denver and all points east. This new route was significantly shorter and proved to be a boost for the hot springs and modern hotel.
Being located only seven miles from the boom town of Buena Vista as well as the jumping off point for railroad travelers in the area, the hot springs quickly gained notoriety.
By 1883, Heywood Hot Springs were the talk of the region. Now a ‘resort,’ travelers extolled the low cost of lodging and the endless flow of hot mineral water.
The lack of snow in the area was a big attraction, as vacationers could visit the new resort almost year-round. The hotel, finally completed in 1883, was managed by Mr. W.W. Elliott, who ran the hotel until 1892.
The fate of the original owners, Mr. and Mrs. Heywood, appears undocumented, but it is reasonable to assume they sold their interest at a hefty profit.